There’s a reason why healthy smoothies are all the rage. Having a healthy and delicious smoothie is a great way to start your day. And there are some really good reasons to enjoy a smoothie for your breakfast:
- It is a good source of protein.
- Collagen has many health benefits for our hair, skin, nails and joints.
- It’s a fast, easy and filling breakfast.
- You can take it on the go with you.
- It makes it easy to get in other supplements, like MCT Oil and L-Glutamine, when you add it to your smoothie.
- Also, if you’re like me, and you hate to swallow pills, taking supplements with a smoothie is so much easier!
My Healthy & Delicious Chocolate Smoothie Recipe
|1 cup||Milk of your choice (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk.)|
|1 scoop||Bulletproof Chocolate Collagen Protein powder|
|1 scoop||Vital Collagen Protein powder|
|1 Tbl.||Organic Cacao powder|
|2 tsp.||Truvia sweetener (or sweetener of your choice, to taste)|
|1/4 tsp.||Pure Vanilla extract|
|2 dashes.||Himalayan salt|
|1 Tbl.||MCT Oil*|
- Put ingredients into a blender or Vitamix, except for ice cubes.
- Turn blender on and add ice cubes one at a time, through the top of the blender.
- Blend thoroughly on high speed for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Pour into a large glass or mason jar, and enjoy!
Notes about the ingredients
You’ll notice that 1 scoop of the collagen powders is 1/2 a serving according to the label. I did this because:
1. There are different types of collagen. Each has a slightly different amino acid profile. So this gives me a blend of both, and
2. While the Bulletproof collagen is an excellent brand and very high quality, it’s also more expensive. Vital Collagen is also an excellent collagen protein, but has no flavoring. So by combining half a serving of each, I’m getting the benefits of both type of collagen protein, as well as the benefits from the XCT oil in Bulletproof Collagen, and a full serving (approx 25 grams) of collagen protein.
Cacao powder has health benefits that cocoa powder doesn’t have because cacao is still in a raw state; while cocoa has been roasted at high temperatures, which cooks out many of the nutrients. Cacao is an excellent (and delicious!) source of antioxidants and one of the highest sources of magnesium. (And it’s the purest form of chocolate you can find! Yum!)
The Himalayan salt adds trace minerals and adrenal support for me. It can be omitted if you choose.
While Bulletproof’s Collagen Protein powder does contain XCT Oil (a form of MCT oil), it’s only approximately 1/2 tsp per scoop of collagen protein powder. Most people agree that 1 Tbl. of MCT oil a day is a good amount for optimal health benefits. So I still add a tablespoon of MCT oil to my smoothie for the brain-health benefits.
*If you choose to add MCT Oil, be sure to start small and work your way up. MCT oil is known to cause digestive issues if you take too much, especially when your body isn’t used to it. Remember, it’s still a fat. So start with 1 tsp. and do that for a few days, then add 1/2 tsp. for the next few days. Increase it by 1/2 tsp. every few days until you’ve worked your way up to 1 Tbl. And if you experience any digestive upset, just back it off or omit it entirely.
If you try it, I’d love to know how you like it! Let me know below or tag me on social media. 🙂
Leave a Reply